Saturday, June 10, 2017

A Heartfelt tribute to a Legend...





(Adam West, September 19, 1928-June 9, 2017)
This morning we have lost a legend in the entertainment industry; a man known to make us laugh, cry, and keep coming back at the same time on the same channel. Of course, I am referring to the legend known as Adam West; best known for playing the campy television Batman in the latter half of the 1960s, the younger MermaidMan in Spongebob Squarepants, as well as an exaggerated, fictionalized version of himself on Family Guy.
West passed away at 88 years old after fighting leukemia. According to a statement from his family (show the quote onscreen), “Our dad always saw himself as The Bright Knight and aspired to make a positive impact on his fans' lives. He was and always will be our hero.” West was survived by his wife, six children, five grandchildren, and two great grandchildren. Julie Newmar, who starred opposite West in the Batman tv series, also stated in response to his passing; (put quote onscreen) “ Stellar, exemplar, a king to the end… He was bright, witty and fun to work with. I will miss him in the physical world and savor him always in the world of imagination and creativity. He meant so much to people.”
Even though I did not grow up with his portrayal of Batman (I primarily grew up with Kevin Conroy’s instead); I definitely enjoyed watching reruns of his version while on break from working at Walmart, in the evenings after school, and in moments of downtime with my mother and grandfather. I also got a laugh or two out of his exaggerated self in Family Guy, despite not being a big fan of the show. As for MermaidMan; sad to say, it took me a while to realize it was him (I deeply apologize, Mr. West).
To conclude; I would just like to say, “farewell, old chum”. You will be missed dearly by the fans, family, and friends whose hearts you have touched with your talent. I do not mean to get religious (as I know many people have various beliefs), but a higher power has summoned you to the big batcave in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment